Monday, December 19, 2005

EVOLUTION

I have been a bit hesitant to jump into the fray on the evolution debate as this issue can become a very emotive one, especially for many of my close friends.

Questions about creation and evolution are rather fundamental and how we handle them does have repurcussions for our worldviews and for our daily lives too. So, all hesitations aside, here we go.

A bit to my sorrow, I have found that it was my assumptions that caused most of my heartache. The first one was that I knew what my bible teaches about how God created. it took me far too long to realise that while the effect of God's creative action is clear enough, the how is conspicuously absent.

Second wrong assumption was to take the latest findings and theories of science as a static thing. Science is in such a fluctuant state that it is foolish to take its findings as fixed.

Third wrong un was to assume that I could convince my friends that this debate is largely misplaced.

The Pennsylvania Federal Court's ruling and rather acerbic comments will serve only to further polarize a debate which is already heading to Mars. In the final analysis, since science tries to figure out the 'hows' while religion seeks answers to 'whys' there is very little likelihood that they will tread the same path.

thanks to lifewithalacrity.com for the pic

No comments:

SHARE THIS NOW

Google+ javascript:(function(){var now=new Date(),month=now.getMonth()+1;day=now.getDate();year=now.getFullYear();window.polarbear=window.polarbear||{};var D=550,A=450,C=screen.height,B=screen.width,H=Math.round((B/2)-(D/2)),G=0,F=document,E;if(C>A){G=Math.round((C/2)-(A/2))}window.polarbear.shareWin=window.open('https://www.polarbearapp.com/app','','left='+H+',top='+G+',width='+D+',height='+A+',personalbar=0,toolbar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1');E=F.createElement('script');E.src='//www.polarbearapp.com/js/web-bookmarklet.js?v='+month+'-'+day+'-'+year;F.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(E)}());