To those people in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required--not because the communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." from JFK's inaugural address!
That America no longer exists...
"Our first objective is to prevent the re-emergence of a new rival. This is a dominant consideration underlying the new regional defense strategy and requires that we endeavor to prevent any hostile power from dominating a region whose resources would, under consolidated control, be sufficient to generate global power. These regions include Western Europe, East Asia, the territory of the former Soviet Union, and Southwest Asia...we must maintain the mechanisms for deterring potential competitors from even aspiring to a larger regional or global role." (Paul Wolfowitz, then under-secretary of defense, way back in 1992)In the context of the future of our world, alignment with perpetrators of war will result in terror. Just yesterday India's Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh , issued a warning that India was going to be targeted by terrorists. He went on to say that he had reliable information that our nation was riddled with secret terrorist cells that are just waiting for a chance to create mayhem. I have no doubts as to the origin of that"intelligence" and even less doubt that it will soon be backed up by some attempt to drive us in fear to the neocon doorstep!
A country that is willing to do anything in order to hegemonise the world's oil supply...
Here then is the NEOCONONIAL vision for Asia
Common sense should tell us that those who find it easy to kick their 50-year-old most favored ally + bosom buddy (Pak) out overnight are not fit to be considered as potential friends.
I like Manmohan Singh and he has been a good Prime Minister - so far. But, the day that our government decides to align with the creators of 'the war on terror' is the day that we destroy India's security. There will be no peace of mind, there will be no peace. We will henceforth become paranoid for that is the price of being allied to:
- A country that 'renders' human beings to torture.
- A country that raises taxes for the poor while lowering taxes for the rich.
- A country that promotes racial profiling.
- A country that maintains prisons outside its own jurisdiction deliberately to avoid due process.
- A country that believes it can preemptively strike anytime, anywhere.
- A country that denies its own citizens of the freedoms guaranteed by its constitution.
- A country that spies on everything including what its own people do.
- A country that hires mercenaries to do its dirty work.
- A country that provides its ally with cluster bombs to murder civilians.
- A country that is committed first to its corporations and considers its citizens as the fodder of big business.
- A country that allows thousands to die in a hurricane because they are poor.
- A country that lied to create a war.
- A country that encourages global warming.
- A country that systematically coerces other nations to either support it or shut up.
- An administration that repudiates the Geneva Convention and is desperately trying to legalise torture
Whatever inducements the U.S. has used, whatever be the cost of refusing their allures, please say NO!
"We in this country, in this generation, are -- by destiny rather than choice -- the watchmen on the walls of world freedom. We ask, therefore that we may be worthy of our strength with wisdom and restraint, and that we may achieve in our time the ancient vision of 'peace on earth, good will toward men.' That must always be our goal, and the righteousness of our cause must always underlie our strength. For as was written long ago: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain"
Let's pray that the most powerful country on today's earth does come back to its roots and regains its sense of equilibrium!